iheartrwanda

Monday, December 19, 2005

first cockroach down

i killed my first cockroach last night. i'm sure there will be many more. i don't like that part of rwanda.

before i forget, my cell number is 08791791. i don't know the country code. it will work in a couple of days once cingular sends me the code to unlock my phone.

i gave my donation to solace today. it was more than i was planning because at breakfast, jean told me about 2 families of orphans. one has so many kids living in such a small hut that some of them must sleep at a church at night because they can't all fit on the floor. another family has eaten only wheat porridge for a week. i always looked forward to school vacations but for the orphans here it means hunger and no sleep. i gave more to help them.

vedaste is doing really well at school. everyon keeps telling me how good his grades are. i get to see him in january. his little brother, gilbert, isn't doing as well but i'll set him straight.

i have my own office at solace. i passed out most of my surveys and hired a translator (florence) to help me this month. this should work well. however, i still haven't told jean that nicholas (who he fired) helped with the survey. that might be tricky.

even with the bugs and guilt over having food, i'm happy i'm here. i didn't even mind the 5 hour church service yesterday. the wooden bench i was on wasn't comfortable and there was a woman who kept touching my hair but it was good. the meetings are in an unfinished building. solace had to finish the guest house that has been their office for 5 years or they would get kicked out. that meant they had to stop work on the new offices and meeting hall. the guest house is pretty and empty and everyone has to fit into a small cement room on sundays. oh well.

1 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you did the right thing with the money. Do we need to send a request for a specific amount to friendly churches? Keep killing those bugs. Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home