iheartrwanda

Monday, January 09, 2006

more pictures


elsie (nicholas' wife), the kids and me the night before i left. nicholas and jean had a falling out and i was not supposed to visit him but the scottish people wanted to go and i was the only one that knew how to get to his house so it was a great excuse to see them one last time. this caused some problems with jean but not as bad as last time and it was marvelous to see nicholas' family. the children all speak english with a scottish/african accent. it's great.


christmas in gisenyi. jean and viviane don't smile in photos but i promise they were having fun. the kids (left to right) are florence, jessie, mucyo and ezra.

i'm in the amsterdam airport. i have been traveling for 18 hours so far. i have another 6 hours here and then a 6 or 7 hour flight. i haven't really slept but hopefully that will come when i get back to america. this place is very different than nairobi so the 8 hours i'm here shouldn't be so bad. being in a modern place made me crave the internet, especially on my laptop since i've been using unreliable dial-up for a month. this also means you get to see more photos.

my departure from solace was just another day. i think some people forgot i was leaving so i didn't get to say goodbye to mama lambert, daphrose or consolee. mucyo did come down from ruhengeri and got there and 5 minutes before i had to go to the airport. no big send off, just hopped in the truck and got dropped off. i think i like it that way. the big goodbyes are reserved for the visitors that are only there a short time. i did have a widow come and give me 73000 francs ($131) worth of crafts made by solace widows. all of my things are in my carry-on and my 2 suitcases are only things to sell for solace. as long as my luggage arrives safely this should really help solace.

that's it for now. i don't think i'm awake enough to say anything else. i will attach a picture from christmas

1 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Becky, I am here at Peggy's and she sends her love too. The mail was very interesting and I know you had a wonderfully inlightning time. I think it was nice you could go back to make their days brighter for them and so you could find out what a wonderful help you have been in so many lives. I will be praying for a safe return. Love, Grandma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home