iheartrwanda

Monday, May 21, 2007

So, my mom and I made it to Rwanda. Ethiopia was interesting. The hotel was "tolerable" as my mother put it and there were gunshots outside at 4:30 but there have been gunshots outside of my apartment in Worcester so that wasn't too bad.

We're staying at the guest house at Solace. It is so nice it's almost like being in the twilight zone. We have hot water and three enormous meals a day. It's actually a little sad that they have such a good chef for the guest house because we aren't eating Rwandan food (dinner was a salad, toast with mushroom cream sauce and a cream puff for dessert) and all I want is sweet potatoes and beans. They also serve so much food that nobody can finish it and it seems wasteful to give the foreigners so much when there are hungry people sitting outside of Solace every day. I think I'm going to ask that they serve me traditional food because I can get cream puffs in America but I can't find ubugari anywhere else.

So, that's the update for today. We get to go to Gasabo tomorrow and I'm sure I'll have a lot to say about that. I can make contacts for my research and see the land that we might buy for Vedaste's house. I don't get to see my boys, Vedaste and Gilbert, tomorrow because they are at boarding school but I'm going to bring my mom to their school soon to meet them and I do get to see all of the other orphans that I worked with on my other visits. Everyone keeps telling me how big Vedaste is and I have to see it for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home