iheartrwanda

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

So, an update for Tuesday. This will mostly be what my mother did today since I learned the hard way that fish in a land-locked African country is not a good thing to eat and spent all day in bed. No worries, I'm feeling better now and my mom did just fine without me. In the morning she preached to a group of widows who are the leaders of the various widow organizations at Solace. They loved her. I even had one woman come to my room to show me the notes she wrote during my mom's talk.

After that, there was a trip out to Bugesera. This is an area known for its mosquitos and draughts, where a lot of Tutsis were forced to move years ago. This means it's also a place where a lot of killings took place during the Genocide, including at a Catholic Church, Nyamata, where 10,000 people were killed in 2 days. Anyway, my mom got to see the church, which is now a memorial site, as well as the Solace satellite center that is being built in the area.

Tomorrow my mother speaks to Solace widows and orphans again and in the afternoon we're visiting some child-headed households in the city. Leocadie, my contact in my village, Gasabo, is also stopping by so we can set up some dates for my interviews. There's also a festival in Gasabo on Sunday that I hope to bring Ian too since he arrives on Saturday. Hopefully lots of my orphans will be there.

Finally, I get to see my boys, Vedaste and Gilbert, on Friday along with another boy, Habimana, who is supported by a member of my dad's church. I send them to a private, Anglican boarding school about an hour from the city and we get to drive out and visit with them while my mom is here. Seeing Vedaste is always my favorite part of being in Rwanda so I can't wait to give him his presents and see how much English he is learning.

1 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger cOm said...

i miss you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home