iheartrwanda

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

and now for the good news

So, after Ian's summary of my rough week, I wanted you all to know that things are looking better. I hired a new translator today who is known for being methodical and a little boring but a great translator and very trustworthy. He's also agreed to what I will pay and has VERY clear guidelines about what is expected for the price. Also, I finished translating my Gasabo questionnaires. My Kinyarwanda has gotten a lot better doing those but I'm learning phrases like "My future will be bad because I'm an orphan" and "I'm so poor that life is very difficult." Now I've started on the rest of the questionnaires for Ian's evaluation in Kabuga and Gasabo. It will be hours and hours of entering numbers and translating but the end is in sight.

Also, I did get some good news tonight. I've been offered an adjunct faculty position at Holy Cross, a Catholic university near Clark. I will teach 3 classes a semester while I finish my dissertation. It will only be for a year or two but it's a solid job while I finish and pays almost three times the stipend I was getting at Clark. It's really increased my workload for the summer since I have to choose my texts and write the syllabi, both of which are hard to do while in Rwanda. However, it will be great experience and will set me up to find a good and more permanent teaching position when I'm ready to move out of New England.

1 Comments:

At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky

Mom just emailed me about your great news getting a job at Holy Cross. God has a plan and will carry you through. We are so proud of you. Keep that light shinning girlfriend. Love you Karen and Kiersten and Lindsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home