iheartrwanda

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

First update from Ian

It looks like Becky has done a pretty good job of updating for the two of us but I thought I'd throw my two cents in too. I am really enjoying my time here so far. Rwanda has been called the land of eternal spring because the weather is always between 60 and 80 degrees. No need for AC or heating. I really like Kigali too. As far as capital cities are concerned it is pretty laid back and people are not too pushy. Even though I stick out like a sore thumb people mostly only are curious about me so I don't mind the long stares and the constant shouting of "white person" in kinyarwandan. Apparently Kigali is one of the safest large cities in Africa which so far I can understand.

I've enjoyed learning more about Solace and the work they do. I've been neck deep in learning more about the 1994 Genocide. What I thought I knew is nothing compared to being here in person, meeting survivors (many with obvious physical and emotional scars) and imaging what this city and the countryside would have looked like with hundreds of thousands of bodies piled up on the roads.

I haven't begun my own research yet because I have been really focused on the project I will be doing for Solace (Becky explained it in her last post). So far I have only prepared an evaluation plan which means I have been in front of the computer. I did get to spend a few hours in Kabuga where the evaluation will take place. I was there when Solace made the final arrangements in the purchase of more land for a demonstration farm, a clinic and a warehouse for the area. They are hoping that as Kigali expands Kabuga (which is just on the outskirts of Kigali) will become a regional center for their work in addition to the offices here in Kigali. Much of the funding from child sponsorship goes towards community development projects like that which are beneficial to everyone. I'm hopeful that the evaluation I help conduct will in a small way benefit them.

I guess that's it for now. I don't have a camera anymore so I'll get Becky to take some pictures and we will post those soon.

2 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Blogger Stu said...

I-Bay! I am really pumped at what you and Becky will be doing this summer. I hope your evaluation goes well and proves beneficial. Get some pics up when you can and check out my blog if you get bored. Later.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger cOm said...

i heart ian!

and becky!

i can't decide.

I miss you both!

caitlin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home