iheartrwanda

Friday, August 03, 2007

4 days

So, it's 4 days before we head to Ethiopia and I haven't written in a while. My research is basically done. I'm trying to find the orphans that I originally interviewed to have them fill out an additional form that my translator was supposed to give them. It's an important part of my dissertation and she just forgot to give it to a lot of people so now I have only a couple of days to find them.

I'm also scrambling to get ahold of Leocadie, the leader of the orphans in my village in Nyagasambu. She's been sick and hasn't been able to come in so it looks like I won't be able to get a picture of the new girl who is going to be sponsored and sent to Gahini in January. Solace promised to get one for me after I left though so hopefully that happens soon. I was worried when Leocadie wasn't coming in because she was due here on Tuesday and it's Friday now. I also know she's been getting threatened because she knows me. Her neighbors see that white people visit and assume she has money and come to her home in the night to try to get it. Her husband is a soldier who is deployed so she's all alone when this happens. It turns out she's just sick and she's seeing a doctor so she should be better by Monday to come see me one last time.

Also, now that I'm close to leaving, I'm doing my official interviews for my research. I interviewed the secretary general for the Ministry of Education today and the director general for the National Curriculum Development Center. I am also going to meet the director of education and the director of documentation for the Gisozi Genocide Memorial so I can find out what is being taught. I think I'll have enough for my dissertation.

Ian and I are just wrapping things up here the next couple of days. There is a dinner for us on Sunday before we leave. I've been sort of ignored most of the summer and now they are realizing we're almost done. They want us to come back next summer and the director of Solace wants Ian to get a consultancy job in Rwanda while I lecture at the national university. We'll see what happens.

That's it for now. It something interesting happens before we're in Ethiopia we'll write again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home